I got this kit over a year ago and only painted it halfway before I had to move across Japan. After that I pretty much stopped messing around with these things for a long time. Recently I decided to finish up this guy and after several weeks of occasional marker painting, here it is.
I got this at the same time as the Achilles D9, but spent around 2 months getting this guy painted because most of the colours were off. It also required a lot of paint mixing as many of the colours were not marker colours.
Seeing how Bandai might be giving up on their awesome Hyper Function line by skipping Odin I decided to not to wait and just get the existing kits of whatever I wanted before they got discontinued instead of hoping for HF renditions. No WIP as I don’t have my airbrush with me.
Yes, you’ve read this right. This post marks my ‘retirement’ as I move to Japan this Saturday night. I barely managed to finish the Sazabi through a frantic rushed job while trying to sort out my belongings. It also means that my Joker will unfortunately be left unfinished. When you read this post my computer will most likely have already been disassembled and making its way to my new place. I’ll have to try to survive without it for at least two weeks, and I still need to sort out internet connectivity when I get there.
On to the subject proper; this might be a fairly long post as I try to sum up everything that happened since my last WIP update till its eventual completion. The photos were rushed and I did not have time to post this guy. I had to use a tripod as it was dusk and I still don’t have sufficient lighting in my room to take decent photos.
I skipped my WIP photo-taking towards the end and went right away to finishing up the kit. It’s been a long time since I’ve touched a kit smaller than an MG so in terms of motivation it was easier to get off my lazy butt and work on it as there were far fewer parts. The masking is a little more difficult than usual so some areas were hand painted instead ending in horrible results. Luckily due to the design of the kit they are in less commonly seen areas.
After procrastinating for over 2 months, I’ve finally finished building my Astray! Due to a lack of motivation I spent a long time getting this done even though I didn’t do anything other than paint it. Despite my horrible airbrushing skill I’m still happy with how the red parts turned out.
As promised previously and customary for all my builds this post will cover everything I did on this kit. Didn’t have many before photos to do a good comparison since I didn’t really plan to do a post like this before I started.
Finally complete! After spending 1 month assembling this kit and nearly another 4 months finishing it, this has been my longest project to date. Spent countless late nights working on it and while it doesn’t look very radically different from the OOB appearance compared to my previous kits I did the most work on it ever.
After almost 7 weeks I’ve finally finished building this! Many things went wrong during its making, but I’ll try to tone them down and keep it positive.
After countless days of procrastination I finally completed this! There were a few disasters that happened near the finish that delayed the completion of this kit though.