MG 1/100 Zeta plus C1

So after one month of sporadic working I’ve finally finished the MG 1/100 Zeta plus C1. I’d say doing the clear parts took the longest among all the steps and the most effort. I ended up with cramps in my hands on one occasion from messing with the tiny pieces of plastic 😀 However I made many mistakes as I worked on this guy, some of which are plain dumb or clumsy while others could have stemmed from me not taking up my airbrush for a long time.

Anyway, the huge Beam Smart Gun made photographs difficult.

Managed to pull off keita-style “dual-layer” main cameras. I tried to capture it in the photo but that’s as much contrast/brightness I can get without making the rest of the photo look wonky.

Not for the back though – I drilled a hole that was too big so I used the normal “clear plastic over silver” method.

As for the Beam Smart Gun, all the sensors were replaced. The larger ones were from Wave’s H-Eyes option parts while the smallest lenses were made from clear epoxy. The idea originated from the Zero-G forum. The long bar was made from clear plastic as usual.

Those things on the barrel are probably the tiniest I could go. They’re so tiny my imprecise mistakes were even more obvious. One problem with the epoxy is that paint won’t stick to it. The forum mentioned using food colouring but I simply slapped on some clear blue paint.

Gotta love the “dual-layer” main camera.

Armaments are sparse – one Beam Smart Gun, 2 blue beam sabers, a rarity in the Gundam franchise. Also included is an extra foldable V-fin made from polycap material so paint won’t stick to it, as well as a set of landing skids.

Action isn’t this kit’s forte. It lacks a waist joint, something implemented in the MG Zeta Gundam Ver.2.0.

The lack of weapons doesn’t really help either.

And now for Waverider Mode – was really worried of chipping paint. I think I chipped quite a large amount of paint.

Getting the entire thing into the frame and keeping it inside the background was a pain due to the huge size – I had to do this in widescreen 16:9.

Couldn’t install all the landing skids because I was careless and let the shield seal itself shut. Any attempt to pry the hatches open would chip the paint and decal work.

I guess I don’t really need to post the work process since nothing big went on. The colour scheme is as follows:

Dark gray: Midnight Blue
Light gray: White + Midnight Blue + Neutral Gray (tiny bit)
White: White/Tamiya TS-26 Pure White
Blue: Cobalt Blue + White
Light blue: White + Cobalt Blue
Clear blue: Clear Blue

I believe the light gray can be replicated more easily using either only Neutral Gray or White + Neutral Gray for more precise control over the colour.

As for the white, I had issues getting it to cover the base colour completely. I would recommend using Mr. Color Super White or other high-opacity paints to achieve complete coverage in fewer coats. Using a white primer could also help.

Now with another kit completed I’m not sure whether to start on something new – I’ve pretty much burned all my cash on other things and since I’m spending my vacation slacking and not finding a job :P, it’s not going to be easy buying another kit. Speaking of toys, I mentioned previously that I was to pay through my ass for shipping my toys. It turned out that Hobby Search was awesome enough to combine the items and ship them via SAL without me doing anything. That kind of flexibility is a rarity these days.

Bonus: Comparison shots

I’m just going to post my pictures alongside Dalong.net’s version.

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “MG 1/100 Zeta plus C1”

  1. Wow, loving the different shades and blue and the just amount of decals! You blew the original version out of the water — that last comparison with Dalong’s Zeta Plus is just gravy =)

    1. Never thought I’d pull it off successfully so I didn’t take step-by-step photos. I used some small aftermarket parts, a pin vise and some clear plastic. I drilled small holes to fit the parts in, then covered them with clear plastic.

      The rest, as they say, is history. Although in retrospect it might have been better if I went lighter on the clear blue.

  2. i cant beleev it i found your chanle again i had it lost for about 3 months. i was introdused by your zaku ii and found it again on google. this kit looks awsome with the paint skeem im goanna have to cach up on a lot of stuff. i will be painting some kits this summer and i am very exsited. just very glad i found this chanle again. 🙂

  3. Do you if this thing will fit on an Action Base in Waverider form? I like your dynamic angles, but I can’t tell how it’s attached. Your paint job looks absolutely fantastic.

  4. I just came across this page looking for a C1 review. What you did is exactly what i want to do! As for me though I already ordered Water Slide decals from samuel decal. In my opinion they are a lot easier to work with then the dry rub and look way better than plain old stickers

    1. Hi there! I used a mix of several decal sheets on my model, including Samuel Decal’s one for the C1. Actually I really like the results of using dry transfers when done right as they do not have any visible edges at all. But you’re right, they are much harder to work with compared to waterslides or stickers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s