Just letting the world know that I’m still alive and kicking and waiting for HLJ’s shipment of decals to arrive. Maybe I pissed them off by ordering just one tiny item costing less than 1000 yen, and it isn’t the first time I’m doing this.
Since the previous update I’ve slowed down quite a bit and managed to paint all the armour pieces, give them some gloss coat, do the panel lines and get them all ready for decal application. It looks like it’s not going to happen very soon so I’m stalled. In the meantime maybe I should prepare my other metal parts so that they can be affixed once the armour pieces are done. By done I mean decals applied, flat coat given, any semblance of weathering effects I’m trying for the first time, and a final flat coat.
Oh, since it looks like there’s still a long way before this Zaku sees its completion, I thought I could post an sneak peek (hurr) at how things are coming together.
My favourite part of the inner frame is the legs because of the hydraulic pistons. I managed to make them shiny as chrome 😀
Replaced the stock verniers with aftermarket ones.
Couldn’t find any round molds on sale so I had to make do with the stock monoeye which was painted clear red.
The shop where I bought the Zaku from happened to have the pre-mixed paints for it on sale, so I took the easy way out and got them. Unfortunately, the CG24 light green is too dark and saturated compared to the plastic colour. Had to lighten it by adding a considerable amount of white. The darker CG23 green is also too dark, but I stuck with it since it wasn’t as bad as the light green.
Got the colour balance wrong in Photoshop but that’s not terribly important.
Post-shaded the parts too. It’s my second time (first time was on the Cherudim but it was too light to be noticeable) and I got it harsher this time round. I wished my airbrush competency was much higher. I had to repaint some of the pieces because I messed up.
I like this antenna much more than the anime-styled one. I find that the Zaku’s head seems a little too small and flat without the antenna. Also, I’ve drilled out the round marks all over the armour for mounting aftermarket rivets. You can see some streaks going down the head. That’s my first time at weathering a kit. I did it while doing the panel lines on the armour using Tamiya Enamel Brown + Black. Hopefully I don’t overdo it and make it look like a hunk of dirt that resembles a human shape.
I think I’ll drybrush the inner frame.