Tamiya 1/24 Subaru Impreza WRC ’98 Monte Carlo Version. Completed, but disappointed. Not disappointed with the kit, but with my lack of skill.
There were so many mistakes I made on this kit I think ten fingers are not enough to count them.
First I sprayed Future over the windows when I shouldn’t had. It ties in with another mistake – gluing the windows to the body before completing the kit. Then, dust got caught and I rubbed it off with thinner, leaving behind marks which could not be hidden with more Future.
Should have used white glue instead of cement to glue the clear lenses. The latter ruined the clear plastic. Also did not paint Future over the decals after they dried and my clumsy fingers ripped the front Subaru windshield decal.
Not only that, I was also doing it wrong by dunking them in water until they were able to slide off the backing sheet. Following advice I dunked the decals for ten seconds and left them to sit until they could be movable, but many of the decals tore the moment I tried to move them. Strangely, this phenomenon occurred on only one out of the two decal sheets. The bright green decals were on a separate sheet and did not misbehave. I guess it’s partly due to me not having done any waterslide decals for many years and the kit being an old one (1998).
The last time I dealt with waterslides was when I was considerably younger and built an Italeri 1/48 F-22 Raptor. Never painted anything other than the camo pattern, and did all the waterslide decals using my fingers only. The decal job was actually flawless.
By the way, the wing mirror was done using silver tape to give the mirror finish.
A Tamiya car kit is modelled in a different way compared to Gundam kits. The skill set required is different too. This was also the first time I used Future, but I still have no confidence with it. When I start on my O Raiser, I think I would stick to canned sprays first.
This was also the first time I used Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softer. Sadly the windshield decal still came off when my fingers rubbed it by accident.
I really want to slap myself when I see the foggy windshield. Decided to do Car No. 3 as it was driven by the famous late Colin McRae.
Also mixed up two pairs of Pirelli decals and ended up with the larger pair in front. Had no choice but to move it further back.
Mesh grilles on the bonnet as well as intake.
The protective panels on the underside were done in flat black. I liked the result and couldn’t bear to paint any Future over them.
A shot of the underside while it was being worked on. The entire exhaust pipe was already cemented so I had to mask the rest of the chassis and spray Chrome Silver.
The auxiliary lamps being worked on. They were painted Chrome Silver and the insides were stuffed with white Blu-tack. Tamiya Mica Blue was then sprayed on them.
The initial horror after finding out what happened to the windshield. It got worse as I tried to fix it by painting the missing area but the decal broke even further after I painted Future over it and masked the area. It’s so horrifying I couldn’t bear to photograph anywhere near it. I also found out later on there were several scratches on the windshield. *shudder*
A demonstration of Murphy’s Law/bad luck. The windows were open the entire evening and the air was dead still – until I started spraying paint. The wind blew strong enough to disrupt the flow of paint, and it blew long enough I stood at my window to wait, and long enough for me to take several shots with the camera after getting tired of waiting and pick the best-looking one with the towel looking the least blurry as it flapped in the breeze.
So much frustration came out of this kit I feel like taking a short hiatus to recover from the pain/horror before commencing work on the O Raiser.