Having completed the interior of the model, I moved on to the body today. It was an epic battle of me and my north-facing window against the northeasterly winds that have been raging these past few weeks.
I spent over an hour yesterday night masking the edges of the windows on the body shell to prepare it for more painting today.
Today I did the masking on the clear windshield part. You can see in the picture above the masking seal provided by the kit. The material is similar to the Tamiya masking tape, but it’s thinner. With a lot of struggling, all six masks were pasted onto the insides of the windows.
Religiously following the manual, I masked off the outside of the window to protect it from overspray. So much tape wasted, but it’s for the sake of protecting the windows. Then it’s off for airbrushing time.
Here you can see the edges painted black. Two coats of Flat Black covered the blue underneath sufficiently.
The insides of the windows get the same treatment. These were taken right after painting and sat for around ten minutes before I peeled the masking tape. Having had less than favourable experiences with generic cheap masking tape and hand-painting, I was prepared for the worst-case scenario – bleeding.
Surprisingly the body turned out pretty well.
No bleeding on the sides and back. The shell was then sprayed with Mr. Super Clear Gloss.
On to the windshield. The masking seals were much stickier compared to Tamiya masking tape and required quite a bit of effort to remove.
It looks alright at first but things are not what they seem to be.
While trying to peel the mask I accidentally scratched off a bit of paint.
The windshield fell to multiple cases of bleeding. On the brighter side, the bleeding occurred on unpainted areas and could be remedied easily.
To fix the scratched paint, I simply drew over it with a black Gundam marker.
Bleeding was fixed by rubbing the paint carefully with a cotton bud and thinner.
Decal work is going to be the hardest part of the model yet…