I have been let down by my source of Gunpla time and again and embarked on a different model while waiting. It’s a Tamiya 1/24 Subaru Impreza WRC ’98 Monte Carlo Version which my brother bought several years ago but never got around to building it.
I took some shots a week ago but didn’t post them up here. I’ve been juggling my time between playing games, staring at the unbuilt model and trying to use IRC. Alright so back on topic, the model is molded in only Mica Blue so practically every part requires painting.
My brother used a school paint brush to dollop Gold onto the rims, and here’s the result. You can see how there’s a buildup of paint between the spokes. This happened to all 4 rims, so I had to strip the paint. This was done by coating the part in Mr. Color Thinner and leaving it to sit in a cup of more thinner for around 15 minutes or until all the paint went off.
This shot is a view of what has currently been built. As with all Tamiya scale models, cement is required, so painting the glued parts was a problem. My brother did not follow the colour guide and went on to slap on some red on the brake calipers. These were stripped by painting with thinner and leaving them to sit before wiping dry.
A look at the underside. It’s a pain to paint the transmission as it’s all welded on now.
This is the untouched body shell. A lot of work is going to be needed to put the insane amount of decals on.
These are the leftover parts. A few have already fell off the runner.
Parts for the car interior.
Now when I went to the shop last Saturday happily expecting to lay my hands on the O Raiser I was greeted with the bad news that its stock is still nowhere to be seen. Next time I’ll just have to call every time before deciding to step foot outside the house.
I had to choice but to settle for some supplies for this model. I bought Mr. Mark Softer and Mr. Mark Setter. According to professionals, Setter goes on the surface before a waterslide decal is applied to increase adhesiveness, and Softer is used to make it conform to the surface.
This is an ambitious test-fit of the interior. I went on to work on the interior parts, airbrushing them with Flat Black. The small red parts were hand-painted with some old Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Color Red.
A close look at the seats. I’m pleased with how they turned out.
There were some decals to be applied on the small red parts on the floor of the chassis and I went on to work. Unfortunately, having not touched any waterslides for over 6 years, I screwed up big time and tore the decals I were working on. They took ages before they could be worked out of their backing sheets, and once they did, they broke into pieces.
It took minutes to get the torn bits into place, and then I realised my fatal mistake – I forgot to give the painted parts a once-over with clear gloss. As a result the red parts smudged. That was just a minor, fixable mistake, but nothing could prepare me for the disaster I faced just moments ago. I gave the black seats a coat of gloss to prepare them for more decals. I then had my clumsy thumbs run over a previously done marking and it got torn to bits. So there are no “prodrive” emblems at the back of the seats now. But wait, there’s more…
This is a shot of the carbon fibre pattern decal that goes on the back of the seats. You can see it’s over 4 cm high and 5 cm wide. After getting it to even move from the backing sheet, it promptly tore into 4 pieces, and into even more as I tried to move them to the curved surface of the seat. In the end the situation was so bad I had no choice but to discard the remains of the decal pattern and do away with it altogether, explaining the one remaining decal on the decal sheet.
On the brighter side, I managed to keep the seatbelts intact for both seats. They took a lot of work to get into place in the confines of the bucket seats, and of course there were a few that broke as well.I’m getting apprehensive about the exterior decals…
Here’s a look at the rims that were redone with a spray of Gold.
And here’s a shot of the interior side panels. They’re not complete yet as the rest of the blue area is supposed to be painted Neutral Gray. Same goes for the dashboard.
Car modelling really requires a different skill set… It’s currently really difficult for me. 😦