Recasting Parts

Finally picking up the pace as I build the Delta Plus. This is probably a WIP Part 4 now. Today’s post won’t be digressing from the main topic so much as I’ll be talking about how I solved the problem of losing a part. Instead of giving up until the missing part magically reappeared I decided to do a recast. It’s quite well-documented on the internets but I took a few photos while I tried it out so I might as well do this post as a How-to. Finally a new guide.

Recasting parts isn’t terribly difficult but it’s a fairly time-consuming process because you have to wait several times for putty to cure. Additionally you can’t really mass-produce recast parts as the molds get damaged after use. Not every part can be duplicated as some are molded using special processes – I can’t really describe it but some parts cannot be recast due to their geometry.

Here’s a picture of the part which I lost. This is the other remaining one and luckily it’s symmetrical so I could recast it.

Epoxy putty was used to make a mold. Talcum powder was applied to prevent the part and putty from sticking together.

The other half of the mold was pressed. I made nicks on the edges as markings so that it would be a little easier to align the halves later on.

I waited about 24 hours for the putty to cure, then pried the halves apart and recovered the original piece.

Time to cast the part. Again, talcum powder was used to prevent the putty from sticking to the mold. Trying my best to align the halves, the mold was pressed and I removed excess putty that squeezed out the edges. Time for more waiting.

After around 24 hours I attempted to remove the part. Unfortunately I didn’t use enough powder so the part was stuck to the mold. Also my putty didn’t harden completely and the molds and recast part were still pliable. Might be due to its old age. Anyway, this was still better than having a missing part so I just made do with what I had.

After some trimming and sanding, the part finally could fit where it went. It was a bit challenging due to the tight tolerances of the parts though. Also it’s a tiny part so it shouldn’t be too obvious on the final completed kit.

About these ads

12 thoughts on “Recasting Parts”

  1. a really nice tip, mate! :D as a long-time Gunpla builder and collector, i got LOTS of broken and missing parts, and this your methods would sure come in handy! ;) now, just have to find the putty suitable for the job… o3o

    1. It’s a two part epoxy putty – I can’t remember the brand I bought, but it was a small packet and it lasted me many years. You can also buy the Tamiya brand as it’s easily recognisable, but it will definitely cost much more.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s